Held one day before the expo kicks off, these intensive 3-hour workshops are an exploration in great depth and breadth, offering a detailed and interactive learning experience on core subject matter in advanced batteries and electric & hybrid vehicles.
Battery Safety Training
Batteries have become daily use components for many applications, but in the race for energy density we sometimes forget safety. Unfortunately we face daily safety events that could cause injures and severe damage.
The training program focuses on portable and stationary battery safety along the battery cycle life (acceptance, testing, assembly, use, transportation, and disposal).
This workshop will provide attendants with the knowledge needed to safely handle the batteries in their organization and to support reduction in safety events.
Next Generation Batteries: Strengths, Weaknesses & Applications
Next generation battery materials can be a dizzyingly complex sector. Silicon anode materials, lithium metal anodes, metal fluoride cathodes: The breadth and depth of the different technologies and their applications is difficult to overestimate. This workshop will look at each of the major emerging battery technologies, analyze their strengths and weaknesses, the development hurdles they still have to overcome, and the market landscape of startups and industry heavyweights that are invested in this space. The workshop will also provide Cairn ERA’s market forecasts for each technology, based on expected global uptake (by region) and specific applications.
How to Qualify Your Lithium Ion Cell Supplier to Prevent Failures & Thermal Events
Reports about lithium ion batteries exploding and catching fire continue to draw the public’s attention. How do you balance the need for power, size, cost, and time-to-market, while still avoiding being the lead story on the evening news?
Is it enough to qualify a cell manufacturer according to industry standards? The answer is that the majority of compliance based testing is related to abuse tolerance. However, the vast majority of field failures do not occur under abuse scenarios, but happen under normal operating conditions due to manufacturing flaws or design and system tolerance issues that cause internal shorts. Internal shorts are unfortunately not mitigated by safety electronics.
In this tutorial, you will:
- Gain an understanding of lithium ion battery failure mechanisms and the pathway to thermal runaway events
- Learn about the top causes of battery field failures, and the major areas where you need to have mitigation strategies
- Learn how cell design plays a critical role in battery safety and reliability, and what you can do from a design perspective to prevent these
- Learn the basic steps in a lithium ion cell manufacturing process, and the process controls required to ensure cell safety and reliability
- Learn about the battery management system and its role in system safety
- Come away with a checklist of things you should do to qualify your cell manufacturer: Pass down requirements, trust but verify (design, manufacturing, compliance based testing, system level tolerances, application specific battery testing, battery management system, cell CT scans, and teardowns and lastly user education)